Friday, May 22, 2009

Researching Chinatown

One of my first order of business back home was planning a family trip to SF/Napa, oh and going to the dentist.  My parents would like to go to Chinatown for some good Chinese food.  I am embarrassed to admit that despite all the years I've spent in the Bay Area, I do not know a good place to go to in Chinatown. I know some good eats at the Durant Crack Court in Berkeley, but that's hardly a place you take your parents to. So I started researching a place. My first attempt was Rachel' Rays $40 a Day, I've had good luck with her recommendations before, maybe it'll translate to Chinese food too. Besides, value for money is an added requirement when it comes to good Chinese food with parents. The place her site listed for dim sum was Oriental Pearl. I googled it, looks promising. Then I googled other restaurants in her SF episode, which led me to other rec's in SF.  But they didn't seem quite right, something was missing... Their websites were flawless and easy to understand, that was the problem.  My experience has been, the more misspellings a Chinese menu has, the better the food. Clearly these places were not traditional, especially if they are Zagat rated.  My search continues....

No comments: