Friday, January 9, 2009

1,000 Words

After working my butt off the first 6 business days of 2009, I decided it was time for a break.Tonight was the official start of my 9-day vacation in Tasmania. My travel pals are fast asleep as they have been on a hike the last 6 das. Having not had the city beaten out of me by nature I am sitting in front of the laptop in the dark, happy to have internet connection.

I did not bring my camera cord to upload pictures, unfortunately, so I will use 1,000 words to describe every image, to the best of my ability. The start of the trip was off to a rocky start. I was trying to tie up as many loose ends as possible at work and try to help the new guy out so he doesn't go home crying. But, I learned that for every loose end you tie up, 3 more new ones unravel kind of like how gray hairs operate. I had an OCD paranoia moment and thought I didn't lock my door properly so I had to use 30 minutes to run home to check. I pretty much did everything I set out to do at work and was trying to tear myself away to the train station as Friday office beers were being passed out. As much as Aussies drink, I don't think a to-go beer would have been kosher. I got on the wrong train and thought I was going to miss the flight. Luckily, crisis averted.

The plane ride was rather painless given it was a full flight. So glad I got a window seat because the terrain from take off to landing was so amazing. The water was very clear \, and we were just low enough to see the ocean shelf of sand and the underwater terrain. Makes me want to go see the Great Barrier Reef. As we approached Tasmania, there were these giant crop circles. Literally, giant circles of farming vegetation. I thought, why circles and not squares. It looked as if someone took a round cookie cutter and carved out bits of the doughy landscape. Even the cloud formations were interesting to see. I had my face to the window as if it was the first time I'd ever flown. I know, they don't let me out much here.

My only gripe of the plane ride was sitting next to a full grown woman with an annoying voice (think Carrie Strug). That got me to thinking about how important female puberty was, I don't think my flight companion has had the rite of passage into womanhood. She also was traveling with what appears to be her boyfriend. I hate to be an asshole, but sounding like a Chipmunk would totally be a deal breaker if I were a dude. That is, if I were a dude, which I'm not, so I'm not being an asshole. Bad karma averted.

I managed to take a power nap on the plane, and soon we were landing. We alighted from the flying vessel and followed signs to baggage claim...outside of the terminals. The baggage claim area looked like it was a work in progress. It was a construction site with a roof over it and bare concrete floors sectioned off with road work barricades in VIP club fashion. The only indicator it was baggage claim was a sign with the airline name and a yellow arrow. I, of course, took pictures. This I'd expect in a developing country, not where English is the official language.

Watch this space. Accompanying pictures will follow in 10-20 days. Maybe.

1 comment:

acl said...

the circular cropping enables easy watering. picture a watering tube as the radius of the circle, it spins and waters 100% of the crops, much more efficient.