Saturday, January 15, 2011

2011 New Year Resolution

So, I'm into my 4th year in the land of Oz...What will this year hold? How will it be different? How do I make it better?

Well for one, I'm taking a semi-negative approach (but really it's positve; read on). My Asian upbringing of trying to be everything to everyone is starting to wear on me. I think somewhere between lacklustre coworkers (in Australia) deleting me from FB while I still work with them day to day and being hungry after 2 slices of thin crust pizza while other people had a pile of 6 crusts on their plates; I decided to adapt a slightly unconventional (un-Asian) approach to life: Look out for Numero Uno. Most of you that read this blog will immediately realize how unrealistic that is, and I hope you do, because most of you are exempt from this semi-negative resolution. And you know who you are.

It's more about the peripheral acquaintances who, frankly are hanging on by a thread, will be impacted. But really, do I think they really care? Probably not. At any rate, I accidentally deleted my ex-boss in Australia while trying to figure out the difference between FB's "Limited Profile" and "Blocking". In the process I had blocked this person and when I tried to unblock it ended up deleting them. So let that be a lesson to the rest of you contemplating the same course of action. But the new me is not going to send them an "add me" request as the old one might have done in a state of panic remorse;I will instead hope that this whole thing will go unnoticed. (It probably won't and, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"). And if not, well it's probably about time they realized their lack of good will towards me wasn't completely lost. I've tried to be the bigger person and I decided to go on a diet in 2011 and cut out out the negative fat in hopes of becoming more positve; Positive Poe as opposed to Pessimist Poe. Besides, for the matheletes out there, while two wrongs don't make a right, two negatives do make a positive =).

I'm not trying to rain on 2011. God knows he has as evident in Queensland and Brasil.

Cheers to the new year and my other more positive resolutions are below:

1) Don't sweat the small things (i.e. blocking/accidentally deleting former boss)
2) Appreciate the true friends I have, again refer back to resolution #1, don't sweat the rest.
3) Stop trying to control everything ( no more planning except for my holidays). I suppose this makes me believe in fate and destiny by default. Not sure how I feel about that.
4) Be in the best shape of my life. Now this isn't a cliche. I had Mono this year. And I realized how important health and fitness was. Ironically I was miserable that I couldn't jog or exercise because I was too tired. It all made me realize how important it was to preserve my health in case of bad days at the office that I could still at least kick a punching bag's ass.
5) Most of all, appreciate how wonderful life is because I have friends like you who read this blog still. My wonderful friends that I wish I was with every moment of my life and your life.

Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Sending hugs across the miles :)

acl said...

ugh feel terrible it took me a month into the new year to read this...

PLC said...

Awn...hugs all around!