My first Thanksgiving away from home, somehow I thought it would be easier having already spent two Christmases away from the fam but it is not. It felt like I have broken the last sacred standing tradition I had with my family, and I felt like a traitor; a bad daughter. I wondered what trait drove me to leave the nest and stretch my wings only to feel remorse on the most important of holidays in the Western culture.
Do I have a masochistic genetic defect? Can someone, preferably a social behavioral anthropologist with statistical background, please look into that and tell me if there is statistical significance in some characteristic that compels people like me to leave loved ones behind for no apparent reason? The holiday season definitely has given me a case of homesickness like hay fever. I have no control over it, and the worst part is anti-histamines do not work on this reaction. The only consolation I have is I am going to load up on the same amount of calories tomorrow night for a make up Thanksgiving dinner. Yes, I worked through Thursday and Friday; I know, just like savages. SG even had the nerve to antagonize me. Puhleez, don't get me started on that.
The good news is I am looking forward to better company come Saturday. I think only Americans can fully understand and appreciate Thanksgiving in a foreign country. The plan is to make the most caloric laden and delicious mashed potatoes in the history of mankind. I, unfortunately, did not have a chance to test out my new recipe, but it's all in my head and there's always "season to taste." I hope the weather holds up on Sunday for a post-Tryptophan session at Manly beach.
But before I get too wrapped up with the Christmas season, I'd like to take a moment to give thanks. I would like to give thanks for having survived my one year abroad unscathed and unjaded. I would like to give thanks for being fortunate enough to be in the company of truly genuine wonderful people. I would like to give thanks that the people who matter to me the most are happy and healthy and to thank them for their support. I would also like to pledge my thanks and hopefully have an opportunity to give back to a charity I've been wanting to become involved in, Opportunities International. It's one thing to give thanks; it's another to pledge thanks. So I broke a tradition, now I am starting a new one.
Friday, November 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment