Tonight I went to a Pete Murray concert at the last minute. The day started with gorgeous 80 degrees weather. I went to my neighborhood farmers' market to my favorite coffee stand; even the usually reserved coffee boy was chatty. I knew this was going to be a good day. The afternoon was spent sitting at Rushcutter's Bay park with M while getting some ozone-less sun and reading Chelsea Handler; whom, by the way is hilarious. Dare I say funnier than Sarah Silverman? (Clink).
M is very much a workaholic like myself, but I tend to put my weekend work off to Sunday. My motto is to enjoy the moment and then get back down to business. You only live once, afterall. But once the warm sun waned, she had to tend to business. I felt guilty already for making her enjoy the day, so I couldn't bear taking up anymore of her time lest she regret hanging out. I didn't want to be the time-sucker, no matter how much fun I was.
After M left I was feeling restless. I was having a good hair day, and I didn't want it to go to waste. I wanted to share my good hair with the world, to flip it this way and that as to invoke awe and envy. I ran through my cell phone contact list and couldn't find someone I could talk into a chill evening with. That's the danger with chill evenings, they could sometimes turn into a full-blown night without intent. And, that is exactly how this night turned out to be. Now, there was no major partying, otherwise I wouldn't be able to compose this blog. But it was a late night, in a good way, and hopefully without the hangover, just the sleeping in.
I got a free ticket to go to a Pete Murray concert, and I had no freakin' idea who he was. My first instinct was country folk, not my first choice, but hey beggars can't be chosers. I was bored, wanted to go out but not go all out. So I searched his music on iTunes as a crash course before heading to the event, some of it I vaguely recognized. That was good enough for me; to be able to mouth along to the chorus. He turned out to be like a Livehouse/John Mayer hybrid. Pete was mournfully soulful with a mellow innocence of "I wish for world peace". The venue was intimate and crowd was diverse. And now I've got his final encore song playing on endless loop reflecting on the lesson learned. When you open yourself up to possibilities, opportunities come to you. From now on, I am as open as a 7-Eleven.
Saturday, September 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
(clink) good book, eh? at least for a short read...
Post a Comment